Thursday, January 20, 2011

#4 Be Honest

I have spent the better portion of my life trying to say things in just such a way.  So that I don't hurt anyone's feelings.  So that I look better.   For one reason or another, when things get sticky, I can twist myself into a pretzel trying to be a diplomat.

Some people love this about me.  Mostly they are the kind of people who don't want to hear the truth.

I am not talking about being mean or hurtful.  I am talking about speaking the truth - straight to the point, with no extra words attached. As kindly as I can.  Still - no matter how kind, sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.  I'm talking about taking my stake out of it, because it's not about me.  If the truth is hard to take, that's not my fault.  Especially if it is asked for.

There are times in life when people are put in our path for really specific reasons.  I believe this.  Right now, I have such a person in my path.  He is a mighty blowhard, and wants everyone to think he's smart and funny and capable.  I always think that if people annoy the shit out of me, it's because I'm recognizing part of myself in them.

If this is the case, I'm changing.  Right now.  Fewer words to say what I need to say.  I will do my best not to be exasperated at having to tell you something you should already know.

And I will spend less of my life thinking "why didn't I say something?"

No comments:

Post a Comment